Your rights in relation to disrepair will depend on the type of ‘occupier’ that you are. If you are a tenant, then your tenancy agreement will normally set out the landlord’s obligations on repairing any issues. However, your rights are also implied. For example, the landlord must keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (this includes drains, gutters, and external pipes). As well as to keep in repair and good working order the installations allowing the supply of water, gas, and electricity and for sanitation i.e. basins, sinks, and for the supply of heating and hot water.

It is now also implied into tenancy agreements that the property must be fit for habitation i.e. free from certain hazards.

If your property is in disrepair, or if there are hazards then you should first put your landlord on notice and ask that these are remedied within a reasonable period of time. If the issues are not resolved within a reasonable period of time, then it may be possible for you to take legal action against your landlord to obtain a remedy. 

It is important that you seek advice before taking action. Lawstop will advise you on your rights and assist you to obtain a remedy and get the work carried out if your landlord is in breach and as a consequence, there is a serious risk to your health.